Sunday, February 7, 2010

Becoming our parents

Why is there such a stigma associated with becoming like one's parents?   This past November, I was hunting with my father and he told me that when he was in college he would fill his breaks-- especially Thanksgiving break-- with hunting.  I have found myself doing the same.  And, it dawned on me that I am, in fact, becoming my father.  At first thought, I don't like this idea.  It haunts me.  But, at the same time, I have no reason to fear this approaching fact.  My father is truly a man of God, living his life faithfully to what he believes is God's will for him.  He is a great example for my brother and I, as he does a job he hates to provide for his family.

Furthermore, we are created in the image of God-- our Father.  With this being said, we are called to imitate Jesus-- a reflection of the Father.  So since we are created and instructed to imitate God the Father, why is it such a problem for us to find ourselves becoming like our earthly parents?  It's what nature dictates.

No comments: